Lobster Recipes: White Lobster Chili
While this is by no means a traditional chili, the flavorings and the heartiness of this soup are reminiscent of the traditional dish. This preparation of lobster can take the higher level of seasoning of the chili powder because the beans are cooked in the lobster stock so the dish has a strong lobster flavor. Instead of the usual cheese, though, this is great topped with creme fraiche and fresh chives.
Preparation Time: 1 hourServings: 4
2 tbsp olive oil
2 small "chicken" lobsters
4 stalks celery
1 bay leaf
2 cups great nothern beans
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp ground toasted cumin
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Dice HALF the onion, celery and carrot into large pieces, place in a 6 quart or larger saucepan or stock pot with the bay leaf, peppercorns and 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Put lobster into pot and boil for 15 minutes, remove the lobsters, strain the broth and set aside.
- Fine dice remaining onion, celery and carrot.
- Heat the pan and olive oil over medium heat and saute the onion, celery and carrot until translucent, add garlic and saute a bit more.
- Add water, chili powder, cumin and white beans and cook until beans are done, about 45 minutes.
- Remove lobster from shell, rough chop and add to soup.
- Finish with cream and cilantro and season with salt and pepper.